Share Your Job Experience with Young Adults in the Elevate Program (Part IV)
L.A. Works is recruiting volunteers to support young adults (17 to 24) who have been accepted into the Elevate Program. From underserved communities in Los Angeles, these young adults applied based on a strong desire to improve their lives through better employment and potential career tracks. Each accepted applicant receives training and employment placement leading up to the workshops. Then, our workshop curriculum and volunteers, like yourself, will give applicants new career skills they can use and apply the next work day at their new job. We’re here to help young adults who have not yet found guidance regarding their potential, career opportunities, and future.
If you had someone help you with these questions or remember how you found the answers on your own, we could use an hour or more of your time to pass that knowledge on to others!
WHY VOLUNTEERS LIKE YOU ARE NEEDED:
We’re recruiting volunteers who can help staff lead breakout rooms to reinforce the skills learned in the staff presentation for each workshop. You may sign-up for a single workshop or multiple workshops. It is up to you. You will receive video training that you can complete on your own time in the week leading up to your workshop. You will have the support of staff to answer questions before the workshop and staff leading the workshop curriculum so that you only need to focus on imparting your personal experience to applicants who are eager to hear from you.
This page is specifically recruiting volunteers for just 3 Workshops in the series. For dates and times of upcoming workshops in the series, please visit https://www.laworks.com/elevate
WORKSHOP 11: RESUMES AND COVER LETTERS
Fri, 12.16.2022, 11:45 am to 2 pm
Led and supported by staff, you will help participants will be given tips and tricks on crafting or editing a resume. Participants will also learn the importance of a cover letter and they will be guided on how to use their voice and story to connect them to the job they are applying for.
WORKSHOP 12: INTERVIEWING LIKE A PRO
Wed, 12.21.2022, 11:45 am to 2 pm
Led and supported by staff, you will help participants will learn best practices for interviewing, reinforced through witnessing and participating in mock interviews.
WORKSHOP 13: LONG-TERM MENTALITY AND REFLECTING ON GOALS
Fri, 12.28.2022, 11:45 am to 2 pm
Led and supported by staff, you will help participants reflect on the goals they set in the first workshop, along with learning emotional tools to help them lead healthy and successful lives while on their career journey.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE VOLUNTEER:
- Sign up Below for the date or dates that you could help with.
- Complete the video training that you will receive the week of your workshop date.
- Log in to the video conferencing link at the correct date and time and stay for the duration.
- Contribute to the group conversation (on Zoom) while staff facilitates the topic.
Give timely feedback when asked and work/mentor in small groups using the video conferencing platform.
- One time only 15-minute Video Training
- 2 hr. Zoom Workshop Session on your chosen date(s)
The minimum age requirement for volunteers is 25 years of age or older.
- Access to Wi-Fi or Internet.
- You'll need a device with a Self-Facing Camera.
- Have your own Zoom Account on your phone, tablet, or laptop. If you do not have Zoom, you can sign up for a free Zoom account by clicking here.
- Complete the Training Video provided, which includes trauma-informed care responses.
- Because minors are involved, you will be asked to agree to follow training and staff directions. Thank you for understanding these requirements concerning minors and participants.
BENEFITS TO VOLUNTEERS AND IMPACT:
Sharing your experience with the next generation of job seekers will help shrink the skills gap that has widened due to education inequity. You can make a significant impact on young professionals who have not had a chance to ask for advice from experienced professionals before.
See all 3 Workshop Dates by using the dropdown menu below. You may sign-up for a single workshop or multiple workshops by choosing a date and clicking the SIGN-UP button below.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 25+, Minimum Age:25+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: