#MLK Day 2023 - Volunteer for climate justice at the L.A. Coliseum
MLK Day is a great opportunity for individuals, families, groups, and friends looking to serve the community on this national holiday.
At the LA Memorial Coliseum in 1964, Dr. King passionately and persuasively addressed 15,000 Angelenos on the issues of race relations and human dignity. In 2023, L.A. Works will continue our long tradition of honoring Dr. King’s legacy by empowering Angelenos to take collective action in the fight for food and climate justice. While the root cause is systemic white supremacy, the symptoms are that Black, Brown, Indigenous, and low income people have access to the unhealthiest foods and are bearing a disproportionate impact from climate disruptions.
In addition to eco-action volunteer stations, the day will include a vegan food festival and nonprofit fair, as well as a panel discussion on environmental racism.
MLK Day of Service’s success is truly dependent on the enthusiasm and respect of our volunteers. We’re looking for individuals who enjoy participating in hands-on projects, learning from every experience, and being a part of a movement of action-oriented changemakers.
WHERE: The L.A. Coliseum
WHEN: Monday, January 16th, 2023, from 12:00 PM to 3:30 PM
EXAMPLES OF PROJECTS FOR THE DAY:
- Create Urban Greening Kits that will serve school programs and youth centers in South LA.
- Enjoy an interactive booth to make a Tree Planting pledge, connecting you with organizations that do the planting.
- Assemble Disaster Bag Starter Kits to distribute into underserved communities.
- FAVE Family Zone: Volunteer in the Wildflower Sowing Family Zone project to build native plant awareness for all ages.
- Get ready to get your steps in! Please wear comfy shoes and be prepared to be on your feet for most of the day.
- Vegan food will be provided to all participants.
- This is hands-on building and gardening, so wear clothes and shoes that are comfortable to move around in and that you don't mind getting dirty.
- Feel free to bring a personal K-N95 quality mask or masks that you find comfortable to wear for long durations, as appropriate for our Covid-19 protocols *Please see below.
MINOR VOLUNTEERS: Volunteers who are under age 13 must be accompanied by a guardian or adult to participate. Select the “Sign Up as a Team” option below to sign up any minor volunteers.
COVID-19 SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
The safety of our community is of utmost importance, and so L.A. Works strongly encourages all who are eligible to be vaccinated and boosted. MLK Day of Service is an outside-only event (weather permitting *see below), and masks will be strongly encouraged.
This is a RAIN OR SHINE event! If we move to our rain location, the event will be covered, open-air, with some fully indoor components, so proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within 48 hrs and masks will be required. We will send a follow-up message with these instructions within 48 hours of the event if we decide that we have to make any adjustments to the Covid protocols for the safety of all. (We love rain… just not on MLK Day ;))
Thank you to our presenting sponsor, USC Marshall School of Business! Our generous sponsors also include: Albertson’s, California Volunteers, Canadian Consulate, Cohn Reznick, EYRC Architecture, Kaiser Permanente, KCET, LA Tourism, LISTOS, Los Angeles Football Club, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Magazine, Lucas Museum, NBCUniversal, Target, University of LaVerne, and Wescom Foundation.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 5+, Minimum Age:15+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: