Share Your Job Experience with Young Adults in the Elevate Program (Part III)
L.A. Works is recruiting volunteers to support young adults (17 to 24) who have been accepted into the Elevate Program. From underserved communities in Los Angeles, these young adults applied based on a strong desire to improve their lives through better employment and potential career tracks. Each accepted applicant receives training and employment placement leading up to the workshops. Then, our workshop curriculum and volunteers, like yourself, will give applicants new career skills they can use and apply the next work day at their new job. We’re here to help young adults who have not yet found guidance regarding their potential, career opportunities, and future.
If you had someone help you with these questions or remember how you found the answers on your own, we could use an hour or more of your time to pass that knowledge on to others!
WHY VOLUNTEERS LIKE YOU ARE NEEDED:
We’re recruiting volunteers who can help staff lead breakout rooms to reinforce the skills learned in the staff presentation for each workshop. You may sign-up for a single workshop or multiple workshops. It is up to you. You will receive video training that you can complete on your own time in the week leading up to your workshop. You will have the support of staff to answer questions before the workshop and staff leading the workshop curriculum so that you only need to focus on imparting your personal experience to applicants who are eager to hear from you.
This page is specifically recruiting volunteers for just 4 Workshops in the series. For dates and times of remaining workshops in the series, please visit https://www.laworks.com/elevate
WORKSHOP 7: BUDGETING INCOME (Financial Literacy Part 1)
Fri, 11.18.2022, 11:45 am to 2 pm
Led and supported by staff, you will help participants learn budgeting skills along with key terms to help them understand their paychecks and how to achieve financial success.
WORKSHOP 8: SAVING AND INVESTING (Financial Literacy Part 2)
Wed, 11.23.2022, 11:45 am to 2 pm
Led and supported by staff, you will help participants learn about saving, investing, and common financial terms to help them manage their financial future.
WORKSHOP 9: SEARCHING FOR AND FINDING JOBS
Fri, 12.02.2022, 11:45 am to 2 pm
Led and supported by staff, you will help participants get an overview of the job search process, methods of finding work, and tools for a successful job hunt.
WORKSHOP 10: JOB APPLICATION PROCESS
Fri, 12.09.2022, 11:45 am to 2 pm
Led and supported by staff, you will help participants learn how to properly fill out a job application and stand out amongst other candidates.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE VOLUNTEER:
- Sign up Below for the date or dates that you could help with.
- Complete the video training that you will receive the week of your workshop date.
- Log in to the video conferencing link at the correct date and time and stay for the duration.
- Contribute to the group conversation (on Zoom) while staff facilitates the topic.
- Give timely feedback when asked and work/mentor in small groups using the video conferencing platform.
- One time only 15-minute Video Training 2 hr.
- Zoom Workshop Session on your chosen date(s)
- The minimum age requirement for volunteers is 25 years of age or older.
- Access to Wi-Fi or Internet.
- You'll need a device with a Self-Facing Camera.
- Have your own Zoom Account on your phone, tablet, or laptop. If you do not have Zoom, you can sign up for a free Zoom account by clicking here.
- Complete the Training Video provided, which includes trauma-informed care responses.
Because minors are involved, you will be asked to agree to follow training and staff directions. Thank you for understanding these requirements concerning minors and participants.
BENEFITS TO VOLUNTEERS AND IMPACT:
Sharing your experience with the next generation of job seekers will help shrink the skills gap that has widened due to education inequity. You can make a significant impact on young professionals who have not had a chance to ask for advice from experienced professionals before.
See all four Workshop Dates by using the dropdown menu below. You may sign-up for a single workshop or multiple workshops by choosing a date and clicking the SIGN-UP button below.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 25+, Minimum Age:25+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: